Friday, September 23, 2011

Freddie's World: 'filthy dirty'


Latest news from 'Freddie' doing community art in Pakistan



Well, tonight I am filthy dirty, my hands are those of an ancient navvy, my few good nails ripped to shreds, I am aching all over - and happy as a frisky young bunny! Life is sweet, and all is right in Freddie World!

Just completed 3 days of gruelling mosaic making with 60 or so older teenagers, Mixed sexes, and even though it took place in the Community centre of a Roman Catholic school, many were Muslim. several of the girls fully veiled - though I would like it known, so pass it on, please, to all the Islamicphobics, that it was the veiled ones who were the most enthusiastic and hunkered down and assisted me and the boys whom I was instructing in cement mixing for the grout. Though all joined in with the actual mosaic making. A really good sharing experience, and they appreciated my given philosophical and spiritual message, and speech, of the joy of bringing damaged and broken and discarded pieces together to create a new thing of beauty and inspiration, which I applied to the mosaic making. And Salma, the Director, gave them a speech later which seemed inspiring, (and glowing about me and my Mission work) though not in english. Luckily the kids spoke English more or less. I have had 100 cement round bases made, so have lots left over to do many more projects.
 

It was quite hard to find coloured thin 'normal' tiles, Pakistan's 6th biggest industry is marble, (my researching is lavish and I am becoming a mine of info on mining marble) so everyone uses fantastic heavy marble in their kitchens and bathrooms, far too thick and heavy for my work, but had to compremise the first 2 sessions by laying mosaics on huge slabs of marble, that we in the UK would die for! As my order for bases was late.

Also last week went with Salma and her Father deep into the Punjab, about four hours driving there, and four back, to a village called Gillwallah, where I did my painted Jigsaw Cross Project with some charming but dirt poor kids in a primary school, surrounded by fields and fields or orange trees, sugar cane and sweetcorn. Next thursday, I think, we are off to Lahore for 6 days, lots more projects to do and a days Seminar teaching School Teachers, on Community Art. So more news doubtless to come.


Time to dive under my mosquito net - but will these hands ever be clean! the cement is rock hard under my nails!

love all around

freddie

No comments:

Post a Comment